rome vs liverpool
rome vs liverpool Introduction
rome vs liverpool Liverpool will face Real Madrid in the Champions League final in Kiev on 26 May despite losing a dramatic second leg to Roma.
rome vs liverpool Roma 4-2 Liverpoolrome vs liverpool Liverpool are seeking to be crowned champions of Europe for a sixth time
Liverpool reached the Champions League final for the first time since 2007, advancing 7-6 on aggregate despite losing a dramatic second leg to Roma.
A journey that started on 15 August in Germany against Hoffenheim in the play-off round will end on 26 May when Jurgen Klopp's men face 12-time winners Real Madrid in Kiev.
Liverpool conceded three times in the second half in Rome to lose for the first time in the competition this season but Klopp and his players celebrated wildly in front of 5,000 travelling fans after the final whistle at the Stadio Olimpico.
Virgil van Dijk sank to his knees and James Milner lay flat on his back in front of the travelling fans, who were kept in the ground long after the final whistle.
A delighted Klopp came back out after conducting television interviews to applaud the Liverpool supporters while the team posed for photographs with a banner in support of Sean Cox, the Liverpool supporter who was seriously injured after being attacked outside Anfield before the first leg.Liverpool's players celebrate in the dressing room after reaching the Champions League final
Leading 5-2 after a devastating first-leg performance at Anfield, Liverpool went further ahead when Sadio Mane finished from Roberto Firmino's clever pass.
An own goal by Milner, after Dejan Lovren's attempted clearance cannoned off his team-mate, levelled the scores on the night before Georginio Wijnaldum's header made it 2-1, and 7-3 on aggregate.
- Liverpool play 'crazy' football - Klopp
- Why Liverpool's gung-ho approach is both their strength and their weakness
- Roma president demands VAR after 'embarrassing' decisions
- 'Could be start of something special' - pundits react
- How did you rate Liverpool's players?
- Klopp a 'modern-day Shankly' - Lawrenson
However, Roma scored three more times to give Liverpool plenty of anxious moments in a match which appeared to pass off peacefully inside the ground after a large scale police operation in the Italian capital.
Edin Dzeko gave the home side hope with his side's second goal before Radja Nainggolan added two late strikes, including a stoppage-time penalty.
However, Liverpool just about kept their hosts at bay to become the first Premier League club to reach the Champions League final since Roberto di Matteo's Chelsea beat Bayern Munich on penalties in 2012.Liverpool's players celebrated right in front of their own supporters at Stadio Olimpico after reaching the Champions League final
Cool heads, raging hearts in Eternal City
Liverpool are on their way to a third Champions League final in 13 years despite losing for the first time in this season's competition.
The Stadio Olimpico evokes powerful memories for Reds fans.
It was the scene of their first European Cup triumph back in 1977 and they returned seven years later to break Roma hearts in the final.
The damage in the tie was done in the space of 33 minutes either side of half-time at Anfield, when the Reds rattled in five goals without reply.
Roma had given themselves a fighting chance by scoring two late goals in the first leg but any hopes of another memorable European comeback after their heroics over Barcelona in the previous round realistically disappeared when Mane made it 6-2 on aggregate.Liverpool were backed by 5,000 fans at Stadio Olimpico
After a hat-trick away to Porto and two against Spartak Moscow, the Senegal forward has been a driving force in Liverpool's charge to the final.
Mane made it nine in the competition this season - six behind Real's Cristiano Ronaldo - after pouncing on Firmino's superbly weighted pass following a mistake by Nainggolan.
That left Roma needing to score four times but their spirits were briefly raised when Milner's own goal levelled the scores on the night, an attempted clearance by Lovren hitting Milner in the face and flying into the net.
Yet Liverpool's potency and threat saw them stretch their aggregate advantage to 7-3 through an unlikely source.
Dzeko got it horribly wrong while trying to make a headed clearance from a corner, and an unmarked Wijnaldum nodded his first away goal in a Liverpool shirt.
Stephan El Shaarawy, helped by a deflection off Milner, hit the post before Roma's late rally.
Dzeko scored early in the second half after Loris Karius had parried a shot into his path, and Nainggolan put Roma ahead for for the first time on the night with a shot that went in off the post four minutes from time.
Liverpool faced more anxious moments when Nainggolan scored from the penalty spot after substitute Ragnar Klavan handled - but it was literally only moments as the three minutes' added time were already up.
The final whistle was greeted with roars from the travelling fans as Liverpool reached their eighth final in Europe's most prestigious club knockout competition.Liverpool will face Real Madrid in a repeat of the 1981 final in Paris, which Bob Paisley's team won 1-0
Klopp one win from first Reds trophy
Klopp will be hoping it is a case of third time lucky when Liverpool head for Kiev later this month.
The 50-year-old German has yet to win a trophy since taking charge in October 2015 - his side lost the 2016 League Cup to Manchester City on penalties at Wembley before going down to Sevilla in the Europa League final three months later.
Klopp has a chance to write his name in Liverpool's history book by becoming the fourth manager to lead them to a European Cup/Champions League triumph after Bob Paisley (1977, 1978 and 1981), Joe Fagan (1984) and Rafael Benitez (2005).
Yet the former Borussia Dortmund boss has struggled since winning the 2012 German Cup final.
His past five finals have all ended in defeat, a statistic that will have to end if Liverpool are to be crowned champions of Europe for a sixth time.
Man of the match - Sadio Mane (Liverpool)Sadio Mane's sumptuous early finish helped calm Liverpool before late nerves set in. Mane stepped up as first-leg hero Mohamed Salah had a quiet night against his former club.
'Roma deserved extra time' - Klopp
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp:
We had a bit of luck and we needed that. It would have been deserved by Rome if it went to extra time but I don't know how we would have coped with another 15 minutes each way.
We came into the competition as a qualifier and now we are in the final so I'm delighted for the club, the players and the fans. We will go to Kiev to play the final.Reds in final sounds crazy - Klopp
Repeat of the 1981 final - the stats
- The Champions League final will be a repeat of the 1981 European Cup final, in which Liverpool beat Real Madrid 1-0.
- Liverpool v Real Madrid will be the third final to have been played in the competition as both the European Cup (1956 to 1992) and Champions League (1993 onwards), after Ajax v Juventus and Ajax v AC Milan.
- With 13 goals over the two legs, this is the highest scoring Champions League semi-final ever, overtaking Monaco v Juventus (4-6) in 1998.
- Roma conceded twice in the opening 25 minutes, having kept a clean sheet in each of their five previous home Champions League games this season.
- Liverpool have scored 20 away goals in the Champions League this season, equalling the record for a single campaign in the competition (level with Real Madrid 2013-14).
- The Reds also became the third team to score 40 goals within a single season in the Champions League, after Barcelona (45 in 1999-00) and Real Madrid (41 in 2013-14).
- Sadio Mane's strike was his ninth in the Champions League in just his 10th appearance - no player has scored more in their opening 10 games in the competition (level with Harry Kane and Simone Inzaghi).
- Mohamed Salah (10), Roberto Firmino (10) and Mane (nine) have scored 29 goals between them in the Champions League this season, making them the highest scoring trio at a club in a single campaign in the competition.
- Georginio Wijnaldum's strike was his 19th for an English club in all competitions (11 for Newcastle, 8 for Liverpool), though this was his first away from home.
Roma look to hang on to third place in Serie A at Cagliari on Sunday (19:45 BST), and Liverpool play their penultimate Premier League game on the same day when they meet Chelsea (16:30) in a fifth-versus-third clash at Stamford Bridge.
- Match Stats
- Live Text
Formation 4-3-31Alisson24Florenzi44Manolas20Fazio11Kolarov7Pellegrini16De Rossi4Nainggolan14Schick9Dzeko92El Shaarawy
- 24FlorenziBooked at 77mins
- 44ManolasBooked at 84mins
Substituted forÜnderat 53'minutes
- 16De Rossi
Substituted forGonalonsat 69'minutes
- 92El Shaarawy
Substituted forAntonucciat 75'minutes
- 5Nunes Jesus
- 25da Silva Peres
- 30Santos da Silva
Formation 4-3-31Karius66Alexander-Arnold6Lovren4van Dijk26Robertson5Wijnaldum14Henderson7Milner11Salah9Firmino19Mané
Substituted forClyneat 90+3'minutes
- 6LovrenBooked at 44mins
- 4van Dijk
- 26RobertsonBooked at 84mins
Substituted forSolankeat 87'minutesBooked at 90mins
Substituted forKlavanat 83'minutes
- Damir Skomina
Match StatsHome TeamRomaAway TeamLiverpool
- Shots on Target
Match ends, Roma 4, Liverpool 2.
Second Half ends, Roma 4, Liverpool 2.
Goal! Roma 4, Liverpool 2. Radja Nainggolan (Roma) converts the penalty with a right footed shot to the high centre of the goal.
Penalty conceded by Ragnar Klavan (Liverpool) with a hand ball in the penalty area.
Substitution, Liverpool. Nathaniel Clyne replaces Trent Alexander-Arnold.
Dangerous play by Aleksandar Kolarov (Roma).
Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Dominic Solanke (Liverpool) is shown the yellow card.
Federico Fazio (Roma) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Foul by Dominic Solanke (Liverpool).
Offside, Roma. Alessandro Florenzi tries a through ball, but Federico Fazio is caught offside.
Patrik Schick (Roma) wins a free kick in the attacking half.
Foul by James Milner (Liverpool).
Hand ball by Radja Nainggolan (Roma).
Mirko Antonucci (Roma) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Foul by Dominic Solanke (Liverpool).
Substitution, Liverpool. Dominic Solanke replaces Roberto Firmino.
Goal! Roma 3, Liverpool 2. Radja Nainggolan (Roma) right footed shot from outside the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Aleksandar Kolarov.
Andrew Robertson (Liverpool) is shown the yellow card.
Kostas Manolas (Roma) is shown the yellow card.
Navigate to the next pagesrc="https://next
Navigate to the last pagesrc="https://forward
Join the conversation
These comments are now closed.1872 comments
Comment posted by U16576184, at 21:42 2 May 2018U1657618421:42 2 May 2018fair play to klopp, a very likeable guy who has the respect of his players.
Comment posted by cris, at 21:43 2 May 2018cris21:43 2 May 2018Congratulations to Liverpool from a Stoke supporter. Hope you go on to beat Madrid
Comment posted by Finkelstein, at 21:54 2 May 2018Finkelstein21:54 2 May 2018All football fans regardless of loyalties should think of the Liverpool supporter Sean Cox who is still critical having been brought out of an induced coma. Let us all hope he makes a full recovery and that he can be returned home safe to his wife and family.
He will love the big win for Liverpool.
Comment posted by jigsaw, at 21:42 2 May 2018jigsaw21:42 2 May 2018a big congratulations to liverpool and english football for reaching the final and let beat Real in final lads. so proud of you all . thank you for your great performance
Comment posted by PintaVodka, at 21:45 2 May 2018PintaVodka21:45 2 May 2018and now the sour grapes from the people jealous that Liverpool held on.
Glad they did, good luck to them for the final, enjoy some exciting football, just wish Gillingham would produce some
Comment posted by Ben Zona, at 21:41 2 May 2018Ben Zona21:41 2 May 2018“Arriverderci, Roma,
Goodbye, goodbye to Rome.
Liverpool, you were brilliant
Bring that Champions League Cup home”.
Keep safe in Rome you 'Pool fans.
Comment posted by Finkelstein, at 21:58 2 May 2018Finkelstein21:58 2 May 2018Liverpool to beat Real Madrid and be crowned European Champions. UP arrow if you agree.
Comment posted by Brett The Red, at 21:44 2 May 2018Brett The Red21:44 2 May 2018Well done Liverpool. You deserve to be in the final and I hope you win in Kiev. Should Roma have had a penalty? Yes. Would it have made difference? Who cares? These things sometimes seem to even themselves out. Milner penalty for Roma should never have been given in 1st leg.
Good luck in the final against Real Madrid.
Man Utd fan.
Comment posted by U16990217, at 21:47 2 May 2018U1699021721:47 2 May 2018Yes Liverpool!. As a united fan I don’t mind at all so as long as you annihilate and destroy the Divas in the final. Comon lads do it for the premier league and shut those little girls up for always cheating and diving to make the final.
Comment posted by Nic77, at 21:49 2 May 2018Nic7721:49 2 May [email protected], "Liverpool parked the bus"
Erm they just won the highest scoring champions league semi final of all time....
Comment posted by MFH07, at 21:44 2 May 2018MFH0721:44 2 May 2018You have to give full praise to Roma for that fight back. Well done to Liverpool, hope they bring the trophy back to England.
Comment posted by Illuminati_Professor, at 21:57 2 May 2018Illuminati_Professor21:57 2 May 2018Congratulations to Liverpool. I said weeks ago the winner of the CITY v Liverpool game would win the Champions League and I believe Liverpool can beat Real Madrid. Liverpool's front 3 will scare the Real defenders to death. "Good Luck" in the final.
Comment posted by U15703713, at 21:43 2 May 2018U1570371321:43 2 May 2018Outstanding, shame about two harsh penalties. Great result for Liverpool they have a good chance in a one off against Real Madrid! No doubt the haters from M U will have something to say.
Comment posted by Robbo , at 21:47 2 May 2018Robbo21:47 2 May 2018Congratulations Liverpool! However, play like that in the final and you’ll get pumped!
Comment posted by U15394510, at 21:55 2 May 2018U1539451021:55 2 May 2018"If you concede 6 against Roma, expect a drubbing against Madrid."
You mean the same Roma who beat Barcelona 3 nil a few weeks back?
Anything can happen in the final, the team who takes their chances will win.
Trent is 19 years old. 19!
And Robertson... relegated with Hull last season, now the first choice LB in a CL final!
There are no negatives tonight, just enjoy it!
Comment posted by js1973, at 22:24 2 May 2018js197322:24 2 May 2018Vote up if you want Liverpool to bring the cup back England, or vote down if you're an unpatriotic and worried Man U fan
Comment posted by yeah-no, at 21:44 2 May 2018yeah-no21:44 2 May 2018Well done Liverpool from an Arsenal supporter.
Buvac are you watching?
Neither Ronaldo or Salah scored in the 2nd legs.
Saving up for the final
Best of luck ‘pool
Comment posted by chapper1, at 22:35 2 May 2018chapper122:35 2 May [email protected] 485 Blues fan - How can teams with such a poor defence get to CL final?
Because they score more goals then their opponents
Quite a simple format really, perhaps other managers should try it sometimes
Comment posted by OxfordUnitedFan, at 21:45 2 May 2018OxfordUnitedFan21:45 2 May 2018If ever a British team deserved to win the Champions League, it's this one, right now.
Comment posted by S, at 22:14 2 May 2018S22:14 2 May 2018Unbelievable amount of hate and bile against Liverpool. Jealous ManU and Chelsea fans I guess.
To get the job done in 26 mins, against a high class opponent playing at home is outstanding.
Note to Man U fans:
- 2 Roma goals were decent
- 1 goal smacked off the face of Milner
- 1 penalty was very soft
:) - we are in the final, suck it up! Hope you enjoy your FA cup final !!!
rome vs liverpool Tags
- 1 hà nội fc afc cup Vì sao Hùng Dũng vắng mặt ở trận Hà Nội FC hòa SLNA?13
- 2 bốc vé máy bay CLB Hải Phòng tài trợ vé may bay cho CĐV vào Bình Dương13
- 3 bóng đá hôm nay viettel Lịch thi đấu CLB Viettel tại AFC Champions League 2021 mới nhất13
- 4 kết quả cúp nhật bản Chanathip dần để lại dấu ấn trong màu áo đội đương kim vô địch Nhật Bản13
- 5 giày tennis cũ Xem trực tiếp tennis Chung kết US Open 2022 - Alcaraz vs Ruud ở đâu, trên kênh nào?13
- 6 game hay hot nhat Top 10 game Mobile hay nhất 2022 tại Việt Nam [Mới cập nhật]13
- 7 bóc thăm tứ kết c1-Lộ diện danh sách 8 đội vào tứ kết Champions League 2021/22 13
- 8 lịch bóng đá nha hôm nay Lịch thi đấu Ngoại hạng Anh hôm nay 26/9: Arsenal vs Tottenham13
- 9 lịch thi đấu v-league 2011 Lịch thi đấu V.League hôm nay 31/7: "Đại chiến" tại Hàng Đẫy13
- 10 lịch thi đấu cúp c1 đêm nay Lịch thi đấu bóng đá hôm nay 8/9: MU vs Sociedad; Zurich vs Arsenal13
- 1 cầu thủ messi 10 cầu thủ có thể dự World Cup lần cuối cùng: Gọi tên Ronaldo và Messi13
- 2 kasimpasa Nhận định, dự đoán Kasimpasa vs Fenerbahce, 00h00 ngày 1/3: Tiếng vọng quá khứ13
- 3 loi bai hat mua xuan dau tien Chật vật trước DK, HLV T1 vẫn tự tin 3-1 trước Gen.G13
- 4 tỉ số việt nam - philippin U23 Philippines chật vật cầm hòa U23 Timor Leste13
- 5 đồ samira đế chế ĐTCL 6: Hướng dẫn cách chơi đội hình Đế Chế13
- 6 thông tin fo3 FIFA Online 3 đóng cửa server cuối cùng trên thế giới13
- 7 lịch thi đấu futsal world cup 2021 hôm nay Lịch thi đấu chung kết Futsal World Cup 2021 hôm nay mới nhất13
- 8 huấn luyện viên honda-HLV Honda: ĐT Campuchia sẽ giải quyết các đội bóng lớn tại AFF Cup 13
- 9 lể trao giải quả bóng vàng 2021-Những điều cần biết về Lễ trao giải Quả bóng vàng 2021 13
- 10 lịch thi đấu futsal wc Lịch thi đấu vòng 1/8 VCK Futsal World Cup 2021 đá hôm nào? Xem trên kênh gì?13
- 1 soi kèo nữ myanmar Nhận định, dự đoán Nữ Việt Nam vs Nữ Myanmar, 15h00 ngày 17/7: Lấy lại vị thế13
- 2 soi kèo dortmund vs Nhận định, soi kèo Hertha Berlin vs Dortmund, 20h30 ngày 27/8: Mệnh lệnh phải thắng13
- 3 dừng lại mr wolf Nadal thua sốc ở trận ra quân Cincinnati Masters 202213
- 4 trực tiếp lễ trao giải quả bóng vàng 2020-Link xem trực tiếp Lễ trao giải Quả bóng vàng 2021 (Full HD) 13
- 5 trực tiếp đức và pháp-Trực tiếp bóng đá Euro 2020 : Pháp vs Đức link xem trực tuyến VTV3HD 13
- 6 trận chung kết bóng đá olympic-Link xem trực tiếp VTV6: Brazil vs Tây Ban Nha chung kết Olympic 13
- 7 trực tiếp mu vs newcastle 2021-Link xem trực tiếp MU vs Newcastle vòng 4 Ngoại Hạng Anh 2021 ở đâu ? 13
- 8 huy hoàng slna HLV SLNA: Chúng tôi sẽ khiếu nại trọng tài13
- 9 ket qua hang nhat anh Kết quả bóng đá Hạng Nhất Anh hôm nay, KQBD Championship 2021/202213
- 10 kết quả barca Kết quả bóng đá Elche vs Barcelona, 22h15 ngày 6/313